Divorce And Family Law

Located in Rocky Mount, North Carolina and serving Edgecombe, Nash, and Wilson counties, the law firm of Sprinkle and Partners represents clients in all aspects of family law. These areas include:

  • Child custody
  • Child visitation
  • Child support
  • Separation agreements
  • Divorce
  • Alimony
  • Post separation support
  • Property division

We also help clients in performing name changes and represent clients in guardianship proceedings and termination of parental rights proceedings.

Child Custody & Visitation

We routinely represent clients facing the challenges of finding workable custody and visitation schedules. To have a level of certainty, and for any child custody agreement to be effective, a court should approve the agreement. This is normally done by filing a complaint with the clerk of court asking the court to adopt a parents' agreement.

Of course if parents or relatives are unable to agree, a person will need to file a complaint asking the court to settle the dispute. Although there are exceptions to every rule, North Carolina requires mediation. Read more about the mediation program in North Carolina by the Administrative Office of the Courts website for further information. If mediation fails, the dispute over the rights of a child must be determined by a trial judge.

At all stages of this process, it is important that you have an attorney representing you. Once a child custody order is in place, it may difficult to modify (or change) that order.

Child Support

Every parent has a duty to support his or her children. North Carolina provides "worksheets" to determine the level of support needed in each case. However, calculating the numbers behind the worksheets can be complex and can change the amount owed to a parent significantly. Read about the North Carolina Child Support Guidelines.

However, oftentimes the Department of Social Services ("DSS") becomes involved in the child support process; commonly referred to as IV-D Court here in North Carolina. DSS can establish and enforce a child support order using the contempt power of the court. This places any non-custodial parent in a situation where he or she may be placed in jail for failure to comply with a child support order.

As a part of the services we offer, the law firm of Sprinkle and Partners can help you establish a child support order, enforce that order through the powers of the court such as contempt or income withholding against the non-custodial parent's employer. We also defend clients in child support contempt hearings, often referred to as "show cause" hearings.

Separation Agreements

To help settle the terms of divorce, husband and wife can come to an agreement making the transition to divorce simpler. The issues most often addressed are property and debt division, child custody, child support, post separation support, and alimony.

A separation agreement is a contract and therefore both persons of the marriage must agree. Also as a contract, it is binding. This means that each party must abide by the agreement. Failure to do so will allow an aggrieved party to seek a court's help to enforce the contract.

Each marriage is different and therefore each separation agreement must address your particular circumstances. We can tailor the agreement to your needs and can review separation agreements drafted by others to ensure that your interests are protected.


North Carolina requires a separation period of one year before couples are eligible to divorce.

Many refer to some divorces as "simple" divorces. Although many may fall within that category, by filing for divorce you may be waiving important rights that you have acquired during the marriage.

North Carolina law requires that a divorce be completed in a proscribed way. If there are any missteps, the divorce can later be nullified or otherwise be undone. Our law firm ensures that the divorce process is done efficiently, that the client is aware of all consequences of a divorce, and that our clients can rely that the divorce decree is valid.