- Good source for customers willing to pay top dollar
- Saves late model trade-ins for resale
- Less desirable vehicles are auctioned or sent to wholesalers
- Have repair facilities and often provide warranties
Used Car Dealers
- Good source for older, higher mileage used cars
- Most used car dealers sell their cars "as is," some are willing to provide limited warranties.
- The dealer may be less likely to sell a "problem" vehicle if he is directly obligated under a warranty
Banks and other lending institutions
- Sell repossessed vehicles
- No dealer mark-up
- Ask for service records, references and records of original purchase
- Purchases from individuals are basically exempt from consumer laws, so caveat emptor.